Why I Never Want to Retire

Published September 2026

People are often surprised when I tell them I have no desire to retire.

That isn't because I love being busy for the sake of it.

Nor is it because I can't imagine life without work.

It's because I think we've confused retirement with freedom.

The Traditional Plan

Most of us grow up with the same expectation.

Go to school.

Get a job.

Work for forty years.

Retire.

Then, finally, enjoy life.

For a long time I assumed that was the goal too.

Something Changed

As I began building recurring income alongside my other work, I noticed something unexpected.

My dream wasn't becoming a life with no work.

It was becoming a life with more choice.

Those are two very different things.

Freedom Over Work

One day I realised something that perfectly summed up how I felt.

It's freedom over work, not freedom from work.

I enjoy helping people.

I enjoy writing.

I enjoy learning.

I enjoy tackling new projects.

None of those things feel like burdens.

The freedom I wanted wasn't the freedom to stop.

It was the freedom to choose.

Choice Is the Real Reward

Recently my wife Emma asked whether I'd like to go shopping with her and stop for a coffee.

Ironically, I was in the middle of writing this very article.

Part of me wanted to stay at my desk and keep working.

The important thing wasn't which option I chose.

The important thing was that I could choose.

That's the kind of freedom I spent years trying to build.

A Better Question

Perhaps instead of asking:

"When can I retire?"

...we should ask:

"What kind of life am I trying to build?"

For me, the answer has never been endless holidays.

It's been meaningful work, good health, time with family and the freedom to decide how those pieces fit together.

Final Thoughts

I hope I'm still writing, mentoring and learning many years from now.

Not because I have to.

Because I want to.

If the past sixteen years have taught me anything, it's that financial freedom isn't about escaping work.

It's about creating a life where work becomes a choice rather than an obligation.

Related Articles

Take the Quick Qualification Quiz ← Back to Home