The Best Investment We Ever Made Wasn't Property

Published September 2026

I've often been asked whether property was the investment that transformed our financial future.

It's an understandable question.

Like many people, we've owned homes, moved house and benefited from rising property values over the years.

Property has certainly played its part.

But it wasn't the investment that changed our lives.

The Investment You Can't See

The biggest investment we ever made wasn't into bricks and mortar.

It was into creating an income-producing asset that quietly grew in the background year after year.

Unlike property, you couldn't drive past it.

There wasn't a set of keys.

There wasn't even anything tangible to point at.

Yet over time it became one of the most valuable assets we own.

Looking Beyond Today's Value

When people think about investments, they usually think about what something is worth today.

I've gradually learned to ask a different question.

"What possibilities will this investment create in ten years' time?"

That single question has changed the way I think about almost everything.

Two Different Kinds of Growth

Property can increase in value.

Shares can increase in value.

Savings can increase in value.

But there are some investments that do something even more powerful.

They increase your ability to make choices.

Looking back, that's the growth I'm most grateful for.

The Long View

When Emma and I moved from Kent to Cumbria, most people naturally focused on the house.

I found myself thinking about something entirely different.

The move wasn't really made possible by the value of our home.

It was made possible by years of quietly building an asset that gave us confidence to make a different kind of decision.

One Last Thought

If someone asked me today what the best investment of my life has been, I wouldn't answer with the name of a town, a company or a property.

I'd answer with a decision.

A decision to begin building something that would continue creating value long after the original work had been done.

Sixteen years later, I don't think the greatest return has been financial.

I think it's been the freedom to look at a map of Britain and say,

"Where would we like the next chapter of our lives to begin?"

Related Articles

Take the Quick Qualification Quiz ← Back to Home