Our New Beginning Started Years Before We Moved

Published October 2026

There's something exciting about a new beginning.

A new home.

A new job.

A new business.

They feel like the moment everything changes.

When Emma and I moved to Cumbria, it certainly felt like the start of a new chapter.

But after reflecting on it, I realised something.

The new chapter hadn't started with the move.

It had started years earlier.

Preparing Without Knowing It

Most of the important decisions in life don't feel important at the time.

They simply feel like sensible next steps.

Leaving BT.

Starting a business.

Building recurring income.

None of those decisions were made because we knew we'd eventually move to Cumbria.

They were made because they gave us a little more resilience and a few more choices.

One Decision Leads to Another

Life rarely changes because of one giant leap.

It changes because each decision quietly creates the possibility of another.

You don't always notice it happening.

Until one day you find yourself doing something you couldn't have imagined years before.

The Power of Preparation

Looking back, I don't think we were building towards a move.

We were building towards flexibility.

The move was simply one of the opportunities that flexibility eventually allowed us to take.

That's an important distinction.

The goal was never Cumbria.

The goal was having the freedom to choose where the next chapter might begin.

A Lesson I'll Remember

I've come to believe that many of life's biggest moments are actually delayed rewards.

They arrive years after the decisions that made them possible.

That's why I no longer worry if today's efforts seem insignificant.

The most important results often take the longest to appear.

The Choice Is Yours

You may not know exactly where your current decisions will lead.

Neither did we.

But if they increase your skills, your resilience and your options, they're probably taking you in the right direction.

One day, you'll look back and realise your new beginning actually started much earlier than you thought.

Related Articles

Take the Quick Qualification Quiz ← Back to Home